These handy tips will ensure that the forklift is being operated safely
Safety is of prime importance during any sort of activity or work. Accidents happen on a daily basis all across the globe, primarily due to the negligence of safety procedures by us in order to work or perform any sort of activity. Operating any type of machinery requires some standard and safety procedures which must be complied with at all times, regardless how the situation is. Machinery of any kind can be very dangerous if safety procedures are not followed; be it driving a car or riding a motorcycle; be it operating a crane or a forklift; safety is of utmost importance and must not be overlooked under any circumstances. This article provides some basic safety tips for the safe operation of forklifts. Forklifts are a very important piece of equipment in any sort of industry and plant. They are used to move heavy things around with ease and every type of industry has a bunch of forklifts to help things move around. Safety of working personnel operating the forklifts is very important and this article provides some basic tips which will ensure the safety of operators. Although these tips are basic, they will still help and can provide a good, basic yet solid starting point for workplace safety of workers and operators.
Read the complete article to learn some excellent safety tips for operating forklifts safely!
Operators must be qualified
Operating forklifts should only be done by individuals who have been trained properly and contain a license to operate the equipment.
Appropriate clothing must be worn
- It needs to be ensured that operators wear the appropriate safety work wear; usually consisting of a hard hat, safety shoes and hi-visibility jackets.
- The work wear must be reasonably fitted as any loose clothing can get caught on machinery.
- Don’t operate/hold any of the controls when your hands have grease on them; it may cause them to slide off and cause an accident.
Examine Equipment before use
- Operators should do a routine check of the equipment before driving them. Some things you should check for any faults are brakes, steering, controls, warning devices, mast and tyres.
- If there are any noted damages or problems management should be notified and the forklift should not be operated if it needs to be repaired.
- Always consider the ‘journey’s end’ of a load before picking it up. A convenient position of a load from pick up may not be convenient for stacking.
Operate at a safe speed
- Never proceed past the speed limit.
- Take corners and any turns slowly to minimize risk of tipping.
- Make any changes in direction or any stops gradually and slowly.
Make sure you have clear visibility
- Operate the forklift in reverse when it improves visibility; except when moving up ramps.
- It is important to make sure you can see the racking clearly in which you are positioning your load.
- If visibility is poor do not continue driving; in some circumstances you may need a lookout helper to assist you.
Link to the original article: