A Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) Blue Competent Operator Card is valid for five years from the date of issue.
When you receive your first Blue CPCS Competent Operator Card you will be issued with a CPCS Logbook. The role of the logbook is to record life-long learning and evidence towards the renewal of your Blue Competent Operator card.
Renewing a blue card within five years of expiry
If your Blue Competent Operator Card is within the five years of expiry, then you can renew your blue card by following the steps explained below:
To renew blue card within five years of expiry, you need to:
- Hold a CPCS Blue Competent Operator Card for the category which is within five year of expiry
- Have passed the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Test within the last 2 years
- Pass a CPCS Renewal Test for each category on a card (can be taken at the same time as the HS&E test)
- Provide proof of on-going practical operating experience (see below)
Demonstrating practical operating experience
You can demonstrate on-going practical operating experience through a choice of routes:
- Logbook signed off by a CPCS validator
- On-site assessment
- CPCS practical test
** For more information on which Renewal tests to take and how to book them visit the CPCS Renewal Test Tool
Renewing a blue card that expired more than five years ago
The CPCS Management Committee has agreed to new criteria for expired Blue Competent Operator Cards.
If your blue card has been expired more than five years ago, then you must follow the below steps:
To renew a Blue Competent Operator Card is more than five years past the expiry date, the cardholder will be required to:
- Pass CITB Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Test
- Pass the CPCS theory test for each category held
- Pass the CPCS practical test for each category held
- Possess a relevant vocational qualification (NVQ)
At this point, if you hold the relevant NVQ, then you will be issued a blue card and those without the relevant NVQ will be issued a Red Trained Operator Card until the NVQ is achieved.
Renewing your CPCS Blue Competent Operator Card is a key part of being an accredited plant machinery operative.
SB Skills Solutions can help you obtain a red or blue card while also ensuring the latter remains valid.
Have any questions? Give us a call today on 01695 558420 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, complete the contact form on our website and a member of our team will be in touch.