- 0 (Registered)
NPORS Slinger Signaller Course (N402)
The NPORS Slinger Signaller training course (N402) teaches learners everything they need to know to work in a role as a slinger signaller.
The slinger signaller plays an important role in keeping construction sites, and other settings that use cranes and lifting equipment safe.
The role of the slinger signaller is to communicate clearly with crane operators from ground level, giving them directions to help them to lift and move their load safely and efficiently.
This NPORS course is a recognised equivalent to the CPCS Slinger Signaller course. It is accredited by the National Plant Operators Registration Scheme (NPORS), which operate one of the UK’s leading construction card schemes.
Who should attend NPORS Slinger Signaller training course?
The NPORS Slinger Signaller course is suitable for anyone who wants to train to work as a slinger signaller.
The NPORS Slinger Signaller course is available at a variety of different levels, meaning it can be tailored to each learners’ level of experience.
Most people taking the course are at entry-level with no previous experience working as a slinger signaller. Entry-level learners are required to take the full N402 NPORS Slinger Signaller course.
To view course availability and prices, please check out our training calendar.
NPORS Slinger Signaller N402 Course Objectives
The NPORS Slinger Signaller training provides learners with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills they require to carry out the responsibilities of a slinger signaller on a construction site safely and competently.
Key areas covered in the NPORS Slinger Signaller (N402) course content include:
- The role and legal responsibilities of a slinger signaller.
- Rules and regulations surrounding the role.
- Risks and dangers of working in the role.
- Different types of lifting equipment and accessories and how to use them.
- Undertaking pre-use checks and identifying hazards.
- Directing and guiding crane operators using different communication methods.
- Maintaining safe working situations.
- Securing various loads for lifting.
NPORS Slinger Signaller N402 – Learning Outcomes
The NPORS Slinger Signaller N402 course provides candidates with both theory and practical training in working as a slinger signaller on a construction site.
The NPORS slinger signaller training course is recognised by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Completion of this course will ensure that individuals working as banksman are doing so safely according to all relevant legislation and standards, including LOLER 1998 and BS 7121.
This course can be tailored to each individual’s level of experience. Most people new to the role will be required to complete the novice level training, the course is also available at refresher level, or at Experienced Worker Test (EWT) level.
The novice N402 training course is suitable for anyone and provides entry-level training in working as a slinger signaller. To qualify for experienced worker slinger signaller training you will need evidence of experience working in a role as a slinger signaller.
All learners will also need to have passed the CITB Health, Safety, and Environment test within the last 2 years to qualify to take this course.
Upon passing this course, you will:
- Have a basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and their responsibilities as a Slinger / Signaller
- Be able to conform to manufacturers requirements as per technical data, conform to relevant regulations and legislation
- Be able to locate, identify and explain different types of lifting equipment and lifting accessories. Explain their basic construction, uses, applications and their functions
- Be able to interpret and extract information on all relevant documentation
- Undertake all pre-use checks on non-specialist lifting accessories and identify non-serviceable items
- Explain procedures for placing non-serviceable items out-of-service
- Identify and explain centres of gravity and calculate estimated weights of loads
- Set up exclusion zone explaining actions required for emergency actions, identifying any overhead hazards
- Identify and maintain PPE appropriate for Slinger / Signaller use
- Secure various types of loads to a hook using the relevant lifting accessories and procedures ensuring load balance, security and integrity
- Direct and guide the movement of loads to different types of location using different methods of communication
- Environmental considerations
- Carry out all out-of service and securing procedures
This course is open to novice Slinger/Signaller operators with little to no experience.
Before taking this course, candidates must pass the Health, Safety, and Environment test for operatives (HS&E test). Please note, this test certification is only valid for two years, so check that your test is still valid.
To view and book our upcoming course dates, please check out our training calendar.
At the end of your training, you will be required to sit two assessments, a practical assessment, and a theory assessment.
The theory assessment is made up of a mixture of multiple choice and open questions.
Here at CBAT, our team of qualified and professional trainers offer on-site NPORS Slinger Signaller training. When you choose on-site training, our instructor will carry out the training at your place of employment.
On-site training can be very beneficial as it allows your training to be further tailored to your working environment and employer’s requirements.
If you do not yet hold a relevant NVQ, then upon completion of the NPORS Slinger Signaller training you will receive an NPORS Trained Operator card which is valid for two years from the date of your assessment.
If you already hold the relevant NVQ, then once you have passed this qualification you will gain the NPORS Competent Operator card which is valid for five years from the date of assessment.
If you require the CSCS logo on your card you can apply for a Red Trained Operator NPORS-CSCS card.
Grants and funding
The NPORS Slinger Signaller course is approved for CITB Levy funding. To find out if you may be eligible to receive help with the cost of your training visit the CITB website to find out more about the funding they offer.
Is this course accredited?
Yes, this course is accredited by the NPORS (National Plant Operators Registration Scheme).
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
Before enrolling on this course, candiates must have passed the CITB Health, Safety, and Environment test for operatives (HS&E test) within the last two years.
If you wish to take the NPORS Slinger Signaller assessment only without any training, then you will need to provide evidence of your prior experience working as a slinger signaller.
What is the course duration?
The duration of the course could be anything between one and three days, depending on your level of experience and requirements.
Entry-level learners with no experience working as a slinger signaller are required to take the full course.
If you are experienced in the role and you simply require certification of your competence, then you may be eligible to take the assessment without completing any training. The assessment takes just one day.
Where does this training take place?
We have an approved test training centre in Burscough, Lancashire.
Training can also take place at your company’s premises if facilities meet the test criteria.
Curriculum is empty