- 0 (Registered)
The 5-day SMSTS (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) training course is one of the courses that form a part of the CITB Site Safety Plus range of courses and is available via a network of CITB accredited providers. It is aimed at team leaders, foremen, gangers, first line managers and supervisors with supervisory responsibilities and a need to understand their legal duties.
Also known informally as the ‘Site Management Course’, the training given is aimed to ensure candidates gain a thorough understanding of their legal responsibilities, and as such can better contribute to the instruction, supervision and monitoring of safety on site.
Successful candidates will receive a CITB Site Safety Plus certificate, which is issued on completion. This is valid for 5 years. Please note that there is no physical ‘SSSTS Card’, however, you can list your Site Safety Plus certificate qualification when applying for further qualifications.
If you have already passed the 5-day CITB SMSTS course and need to renew your CITB certificate, you will be eligible for the 2-day SMSTS refresher, providing your certificate is still in date and valid.
There is no longer a six-month grace period for expired certificates; if you know that your SMSTS certificate is due to expire, you must undertake and successfully complete an SMSTS Refresher course to remain up-to-date and legal whilst working onsite.
The 2-day SMSTS Refresher course is designed to ensure those in a managerial capacity are fully up to date with any legal changes, as well as how they affect site operations.
CITB Course Detail
The SMSTS course is a course designed for those with responsibility for managing, monitoring, implementing and reporting in a construction environment.
This CITB course includes the following elements:
- Management and implementation of health, safety and environmental aspects on site, in accordance with current legal provisions and within the context of their management role
- What is expected of site managers, including occupational health issues that arise within the construction sector
- An understanding of how health and safety law is structured, and how the role of a manager controls site safety
- Risk assessments – how to carry these out and why method statements are a legal requirement
- Fire prevention and control, control of hazardous substances, CDM (Construction Design Management) Regulations, Working at Height, PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), manual handling, accidents and first aid
- How to carry out site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings
- Understanding the need for proactive and reactive monitoring
Full attendance is essential, and candidates will be expected to actively participate. Continual assessment will take place during the course. There is also a multiple-choice assessment at the end of the course.
SMSTS courses are delivered nationwide either as open courses or as dedicated courses on customers’ own sites.
Training grants for the SMSTS training course are available to CITB levy payers.
Curriculum is empty
SB Skills Solutions Ltd
The Motorcycle Track
Need More Information?
Call. 01695 558420
Course venue and times:
Training dates are available