Skip to content Skip to footer

If you want to work in the construction industry, you will need to meet certain minimum requirements, and this applies to becoming a construction labourer as well as other job roles.

The construction labourer role does not require a high level of qualification, but to work legally on a site, there are certain steps you will need to take.

What Does a Construction Labourer Do?

The job of the construction worker is to carry out various manual tasks and duties on a construction site.

These can include:

  • Preparing, cleaning and tidying the site
  • Loading and unloading materials and equipment
  • Scaffolding
  • Laying foundations
  • Digging trenches
  • Assisting others in their duties.

Essentially, the construction labourer has a varied role, which may involve a broad range of activities.

It is a physically demanding job, and construction sites can be dangerous places, so the role does require the correct training.

What Qualifications Do I Need to Become a Construction Labourer?

To work on a construction site, you will first need a Green CSCS Labourer card.

CSCS stands for the Construction Skills Certification Scheme. It issues cards that provide proof that people working on construction sites have the right training and qualifications for the jobs they are doing.

Having the right CSCS card for your job is not a legal requirement BUT in reality, you will not get work on a construction site without one.

To get a Green Labourer card you must:

  • Pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test for Operatives

Working as a construction labourer can be a gateway to learning other valuable and useful construction skills, and you can progress your career by taking a Construction NVQ.

Construction NVQs

Construction NVQs cover a broad range of specialist tasks, and they are available at lower or higher levels, depending on the experience you have.

They start at Level 1, and there is a general Certificate in Construction Skills. This NVQ covers all the general aspects of construction work.

However, you may then choose to specialise in one type of work, for example roofing, and then you can work towards gaining a Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Waterproof Membrane Roofing Systems.

By taking an NVQ, you can gain further qualifications, such as the Blue Skilled Worker card.

Apply for a Green CSCS Labourer Card

Take that all important first step towards a career in construction. Apply today for the NPORS Site Safety Awareness course.

It is accredited by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health and recognised by CSCS.

Contact the team at SB Skills Solutions if you need more information on the Blue Skilled Worker Card.

Error: Contact form not found.